March 18, 2016

Little Thoughts about Art: Coffee and Croissant



If you leave Belgium, you disappear from its radar. In Germany it’s the other way around, if you haven’t been abroad, you don’t count. Once I met the curator of a Belgian museum who was going to put up an exhibition about a Belgian avant-gardist of the 1920s I had written about in my PhD. We had a very nice conversation and he told me he wanted me to write for the catalogue. I was excited. A year later the catalogue appeared without a contribution of me. When I inquired if there had been a problem, the curator told me he had decided to work with people who live locally. I guess he meant I wasn’t able to bring by coffee and croissant in the morning? This is typically Belgian, and probably also the reason why you never heard about the Belgian avant-garde, except for René Magritte (you might even think he's French?). 

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. haha! no, he was born in Wallonia, then lived in the suburbs of Brussels as most of the surrealists, because they thought the suburbs was great to see the ruins of capitalism. Magritte once tried it in Paris but got into a fight with Breton, that's why he did that joke exhibit in Paris after WWII, the période vache, to screw the Parisians, hehe!

      Delete