Table Talk

Table Talk



The openings of Schinkel Pavilion are always nerve-racking. They're more like a party for twenty-year olds and if you're around forty, you just have to avoid going. My table companion told me that he went to the latest opening of Jordon Wolfson. Since he's a forty +, it was a miserable experience. Not only the art scene, but also the art itself got on his nerves. The problem is, so he told me, that people look at it only once and then it has this kind of effect galleries are going for nowadays. But if you watch it a few times, as he managed to do, then the effect is gone: "Das Effekt verbraucht sich."  

Julia Stoschek goes with what is trending in the art world. It's a fact that she will never discover anything. You show Nancy Holt at the museum, so I said to my neighbour while munching spring roles dipped in peanut sauce, and two months later Julia Stoschek has bought the videos and is also showing Nancy Holt. I know this from own experience. It's not a bad thing. It's just a bit of a pity when you have so much money that you only play it safe. I'm excited to see Arthur Jafa's show though, so I concluded my lamentation. It's just a bit off-putting that it's curated by Hans-Ulrich Obrist. 

I just came upon the 2017 McDonalds add that promotes its coffee at McCafĂ©. I was in Kreuzberg at the hipster coffee place with friends and discussing why Berlin didn't manage to have a good coffee culture like Helsinki, Tirana, Pristina, etc. At least one has to admit that hipsters brought good coffee to Berlin. We had to laugh when looking at the McCafĂ© add. Hipster coffee culture has gone so far that McDonalds can now promote its coffee as traditional. 




FACEBOOK TWITTER TUMBLR PINTEREST