"Hochkarätig" or Top Class in the Arts

"Hochkarätig" or Top Class in the Arts



The museum was on the phone. "My colleague recommended you," he explained. "We're looking for somebody who can give a talk about museum language in a light, humorous way at our colonnade bar event this summer." I have this unfortunate tendency to get enthusiastic very quickly, so that's what I did: "Awesome!" I said, "I just wrote a little piece about the word 'important'!" "Splendid," he answered, "We can't pay much but since you already wrote it..." 

Two weeks later I get an email: Would it also be possible for me to do the talk in June instead of July? I can't do June, I write back and decide to give him a call to see what's up. "How unfortunate," he says with an air of gravity, "but for July we now managed to get some 'hochkarätige" (top class) guests: an actor and the director of Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung!" My enthusiasm can rise but also drop drastically and that's what it did. "Hochkarätig!" I snarled while putting down the phone. But on the positive side: I'm sure that in a few months time I can talk about the "hochkarätig" in the arts in a light and humorous way... so the museum might want to get back to me for next summer? 
FACEBOOK TWITTER TUMBLR PINTEREST