Berlin Art Fair 2019

Berlin Art Fair 2019

Simon Fujiwara's golden trash can


Sorry, I have to leave out the art in this review of the Berlin Art Fair. It was all made out of air. I didn’t see a thing. Did you? 

I was accompanied by my friend F and he did see things. He noticed an empty wall at Meyer. “Interesting,” he pondered, “My gallery would never do that, leave a wall empty at an art fair.” 

F normally only goes to art fairs to work. He was now on vacation and felt lost about “looking at art randomly”.

The labels at Esther Schipper were interesting. The gallery attendant could take them of and show them to us from close-by. It was the work of Simon Fujiwara, who took a trash bin and coated it in gold. It was so bad. I don’t want to talk about it.



The food was very bizarre at the Berlin Art Fair. There was a Korean taco and a fish burger truck. Some food displays were even empty and not because it was sold out. We spotted something that looked like baby food in a glass. Even the cakes were looking suspicious.  





I wasn’t invited to any gallery dinner this time. But F told me that gallery dinners are horrible. The worst are the curators, according to F. When you sit next to one, you have to nod ‘Oh, interesting!’ the whole evening while they talk about their projects. 

The only good thing at the Berlin Art Fair was happening outside. Daniel Chluba biked by with his CAPITALISM FEELS LIKE MINIMAL ART. "Finally something that cheers me up at this shitty job," said the guy who was giving out postcards for a HKW event at the entrance of the Berlin Art Fair. Check out its kick-off at The House of The Deadly Doris with a reading of Daniel Chluba's manifesto by Alice Escher. 



FACEBOOK TWITTER TUMBLR PINTEREST