Eine Schlossgeschichte

Eine Schlossgeschichte

On Sunday, I'm invited to the Galerie im Marstall, which is part of Schloss Ahrensburg in Ahrensburg, a city near Hamburg. When I arrive, I'm excited to see that the castle of Ahrensburg is on an island - ein Schlossinsel - surrounded by the river Hunneau.



Schloss Ahrensburg consists of three buildings. Entering one of them, the Galerie in Marstall, Katharina Schlüter, the artistic director of the Galerie, tells me they call it an "ensemble" - ein Schlossensemble.


I'm invited to talk on a panel about "the female gaze". It's the final day of the exhibition, which makes it into a Schlussveranstaltung in einem Schlossensemble. It turns out the female gaze doesn't exist, but the feminist one does. 




It is the first time I am in Ahrensburg. I make some small talk and ask my panel neighbour, who is a professor of theory, if the same counts for her. She affirms, saying: "I only knew Ahrensburg theoretically." 




On the flyer of the castle Ahrensburg a question is posed: "Und wann kam die Ananas nach Ahrensburg?" On my way back home, talking to an English designer, I find out not when but why.





When I am back home at night in Berlin, I watch Poirot. "Hold the castle!" Poirot says to Miss Lemon when leaving the apartment together with Hastings to pursue a murder case.







FACEBOOK TWITTER TUMBLR PINTEREST