SAD SELLS

SAD SELLS

 



Last week I had to compensate for A having a good time in New York City, full of excitement and VIPs. So I watched The Andy Warhol Diaries on Netflix. For inspiration, as I myself have been planning a podcast series titled ‘I (Almost) Met Andy Warhol’.


The focus of the Netflix series is on Andy Warhol’s love life and it probably says more about the 2020s and our longing to be intimate and vulnerable in plain sight. Andy has been given a sad computer voice and he wanders eternally through his big house, often sitting at the window in backlight. Repeatedly, it is said that he’s lonely as if this loneliness is not part of the human condition.


Meanwhile, A in New York came much closer to Andy than I ever did with the Netflix series. Meeting up with Factory collaborator Bob Colacello he was told that Andy didn’t walk nor talk like that. When Jed left Andy, Bob called him to see if he was doing okay but Andy said: "Well, you know Bob, that's one problem less." But, as Bob Colacello commented on the Netflix series, quoting Ryan Murphy: “Sad sells.”


FACEBOOK TWITTER TUMBLR PINTEREST